People speak highly Logitech'due south MX Master line of mice, and I've joined the chorus over the by few years since I got ane for myself. I loved it, merely it was basically the concluding device is my life using micro-USB and I lamented literally days ago that all I wanted was a new MX Master with USB-C. Thankfully, Logitech has come up through with the MX Master 3 which adds USB-C and a whole lot more.

What's New?

  • New colors, graphite and "mid gray"
  • Metallic scroll wheels instead of plastic
  • App-specific button setups for some Apple tree, Adobe, and Microsoft apps
  • USB-C quick charging (3 hours from ane infinitesimal of charging)
  • Linux drivers for "most popular Linux distributions"

What'south the Same?

Nearly things on this mouse are the same every bit the terminal model.

  • Same 500 mAh battery that lasts 70 days
  • Same vii buttons as before
  • Aforementioned 4,000 DPI tracking accuracy
  • Aforementioned 3 device pairing that can be toggled from buttons on the bottom
  • Aforementioned Bluetooth or Logitech unifying USB receiver
  • Aforementioned Logitech Options software
  • Same Catamenia feature for copy/pasting between computers
  • Same cost of $99.99
  • All the same merely works as a wireless mouse, even if information technology'south plugged in with the USB cable

Feel (and a Disclaimer)

The MX Chief 2S is the all-time feeling mouse I've ever used. It fits perfectly in my hand and has removed all instances of hand strain when using a computer for many hours in a twenty-four hours. The new version feels very similar, only was immediately distinct from the last model. I've used information technology for 2 days at present and the deviation is already pretty much gone, so I've gotten used to it quickly, just I'd say this mouse feels trivial narrower in the hand than the last one. I don't know if that's technically true, but that'south how it feels to me.

The disclaimer on this is that I accept of class only used this mouse for a few days and i may feel differently in a few months, just my initial impressions are "slightly different, merely non in a bad fashion."

The New Scroll Bicycle

This is the real star of the show for me. The Master 3 uses a magnet system of some sort to hold the bike in place and it spins and spins and spins… Seriously, the erstwhile model was neat here, but the new one puts information technology to shame.

And even more important to me, as someone who works in an open up office, the wheel is finer silent when it'due south spinning. The old one was placidity, merely if the room was quiet, anybody could hear me creepo on the cycle as I scrolled downward a super long document. Non anymore, as the new wheel is inaudible even to me, sitting ii feet from information technology.

If yous prefer to utilise your mouse wheel the traditional style in the "ratchet" fashion, it can of course do that as well, merely the machinery is totally changed, and I call up uses the same magnet system to stagger your scrolling and provide haptic feedback. This is besides quieter than I'chiliad used to from a mouse and information technology did feel a little different from other mice I've used, but I never utilise this fashion and then I generally went "huh, that's interesting, but whatsoever."

Finally, it's not a big deal, but the bicycle is now made from metal instead of plastic and it makes it simply feel really, actually skillful.

The Other Buttons and Wheels

In that location are an array of other buttons on the mouse, and while this is not a gaming mouse by whatever means, information technology has plenty of options for being a "professional person mouse user."

Push button on pinnacle. This button can either toggle the whorl bicycle between modes, or you can assign information technology to specific functions on your estimator. I have this gear up upwardly to simulate a keypress that Keyboard Maestro uses to open the chief kanaban board in Jira. Thrilling, I know, but it's a page I have to go to a ton and many of my conversations start "hey, could you cheque out chore…" and so being able to pull up my board at a moment's notice is a huge feature.

Back and forward buttons. These are markedly different from the concluding version of the mouse and I call up they look wore, but are easier to apply. The old style had these kind of stacked together and the back button was pretty easy to striking, but the forward one was a bit out of the way. They were so close together I also sometimes accidentally hit one when I meant to hit the other. No more every bit these are completely broken apart and rising out more than from the side of the mouse than earlier. They're easier to find, and hit the right one, although they are exactly the same shape, so there still could be an result with mixing them upward from time to time, but it has not been a problem for me yet.

Side cycle. This cycle on the side of the mouse is a little nicer than the last model's. It as well is made of metal this time and feels nice, with sharp ridges that get in piece of cake to plough with a calorie-free touch. I practice wish that this as well had the gratuitous scrolling selection that the main scroll bicycle has, since I find scrolling things like Last Cut timelines or big documents in Sketch takes longer than I'd like.

Gesture push. This was on the last version too and works basically the aforementioned as before. The only difference is at that place is a little nubbin that reminds you the push button is in that location, but I still don't apply this for much. I know some people become value from it, merely it'southward even so placed also far downward and dorsum on the mouse to arrive piece of cake to access with my thumb and I by and large end upwards just ignoring it.

Wireless Just

The Principal iii is a wireless-just mouse. This means that fifty-fifty if yous plug it into a computer with the included USB-C cable, it will only accuse over that cablevision, not really go a wired mouse. This isn't a large bargain most of the time, only sometimes your computer might not accept Bluetooth active or you'll want to use information technology with something like a Raspberry Pi which has non been prepare up yet to plow on and sync over Bluetooth. In these situations you are basically SOL unless you have a wired mouse around.

In theory the bundled Unifying dongle might work, just I remember you demand to "sync: your mouse with that specific dongle before information technology'll work with any sometime reckoner. I never use this dongle, so I'chiliad not 100% sure, only make sure you agree onto information technology juuuuuust in instance.

Worth an Upgrade?

I think the changes to this mouse don't get in a must purchase for anyone using an MX Master 2S but in that location are a few things that made me discover this a totally worthwhile buy.

  1. USB-C is enough of an upgrade for me to get basically annihilation. Unifying my cables to one plug has been revelatory over the past couple years and this removes the ane micro-USB cable I had to keep around for semi-regular apply.
  2. The ultra-premium feeling scroll wheels are excellent and brand the mouse a joy to utilise. I know this is technically unnecessary, simply I like nice tech and this feels similar a killer upgrade.

If neither of those speak to you lot, then experience free to stick with the 2S and not feel any FOMO.

Just if you are looking for a new mouse and take literally anything else, then I think the MX Main 3 is a great option and one that should definitely be on your radar. The price definitely keeps it in premium territory, but for something you probable apply for 8+ hours a mean solar day, you should really do everything y'all can to become the best option you tin budget for.

It's worth noting that Logitech is notwithstanding selling the MX Master 2S for $79, but I'd say that the $20 toll difference is worth paying to get the newer model, if only and then you don't bring another micro-USB device into your home or piece of work in 2019.